Welcome to Calvary!
Calvary Lutheran Church is a congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), located at 39th Street & Chicago Avenue in south Minneapolis, at the crossroads of four neighborhoods: Central, Powderhorn, Bryant and Bancroft.(Directions to church)
We are known as:
- A smaller, more intimate Christian community with a strong commitment to living out God’s grace in our neighborhood.
- A diverse, open and hospitable group from young to old, who welcome visitors, whether life-long Christians or those newly seeking a spiritual home.
- A worshipping community with rich, lively, and historic liturgy that includes strong singing, eclectic music, quality preaching, and prayers for those both near and far.
- A place of beauty, gathering in a sanctuary with majestic pipe organ and stained glass windows, a newly remodeled space with flexible seating and ritual centers crafted to befit a worshipping community of the 21st century.
- A community of faith that welcomes people who may have felt excluded by the church because of cultural or ethnic background, race, physical or mental abilities, socioeconomic or family status, gender, age, or sexual orientation. Read our Welcome Statement, and learn more about our core values.
Join Us on Sunday
Choir/Music rehearsal at 9:15 a.m.
Worship at 10:00
Sunday School at 11:00
Adult Education at 11:15
What's New at Calvary
Each Wednesday during lent, a soup supper will be served starting at 5:30 and Prayer Around the Cross worship at 6:30 p.m. We invite you to join us at Calvary during the season of Lent!
Two readers are needed for each mid-week worship service. A sign-up sheet is on the bulletin board in the narthex.
As the Church Council looks at the congregation's call and commitment to be a vibrant, nurturing, and faithful community, they are asking church members to pledge their financial support for the Fiscal Year January 1, 2017-December 31, 2017 General Operating Fund.
Click HERE for a Pledge Card to print and return to the church office
Click HERE for an Authorization form to sign up for electronic giving to print and return to the church office
Members may also email the church office, email@example.com, and instruct the Administrator to enter their desired pledge. This information is confidential.
The Calvary Emergency Food Shelf is available for area residents each Saturday from 9:00 - noon. There are eligibility requirements. Click on the "Food Shelf" link in the "Outreach" tab above, or call the church office at 612-827-2504 for more information.