Welcome to Calvary!
Calvary Lutheran Church is a congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), located at 39th Street & Chicago Avenue in south Minneapolis, at the crossroads of four neighborhoods: Central, Powderhorn, Bryant and Bancroft.(Directions to church)
We are known as:
- A smaller, more intimate Christian community with a strong commitment to living out God’s grace in our neighborhood.
- A diverse, open and hospitable group from young to old, who welcome visitors, whether life-long Christians or those newly seeking a spiritual home.
- A worshipping community with rich, lively, and historic liturgy that includes strong singing, eclectic music, quality preaching, and prayers for those both near and far.
- A place of beauty, gathering in a sanctuary with majestic pipe organ and stained glass windows, a newly remodeled space with flexible seating and ritual centers crafted to befit a worshipping community of the 21st century.
- A community of faith that welcomes people who may have felt excluded by the church because of cultural or ethnic background, race, physical or mental abilities, socioeconomic or family status, gender, age, or sexual orientation. Read our Welcome Statement, and learn more about our core values.
Join Us on Sunday
Sunday Education (Sunday School & Adult Education)
begins at 9:00 a.m.
Sunday Worship Service
begins at 10:15 a.m. All are welcome!
What's New at Calvary
ALL ARE INVITED to join the festivities at Calvary after the Children’s Pageant on Sunday, December 13
There will be a light lunch followed by
* Lefse rolling
* Krumkake making
* Cookie decorating
* Christmas card decorating
* Christmas caroling
This year we will also be adding information on Las Posadas and Kwanzaa. Las Posadas is celebrated in Mexico between December 16 and 24. Las Posadas commemorates the journey that Joseph and Mary made from Nazareth to Bethlehem in search of a safe refuge where Mary could give birth to the baby Jesus. Kwanzaa is not a religious holiday, but it is an African American holiday that celebrates family, community and culture and is celebrated between December 26 and January 1. The name Kwanzaa is derived from the phrase "matunda ya kwanza" which means "first fruits" in Swahili, a Pan-African language which is the most widely spoken African language.
Children and adults of all ages are invited to participate in the activities.
Calvary Lutheran is seeking a person to provide quality daycare on Sunday mornings for the children of members and visitors, generally ages six months to four years, during the Sunday education hour and worship service throughout the year.
For the complete job description click here: Child Care Nursery Worker
The Calvary Emergency Food Shelf is available for area residents each Saturday from 9:00 - noon. There are eligibility requirements. Click on the "Food Shelf" link in the "Outreach" tab above, or call the church office at 612-827-2504 for more information.