Welcome to Calvary!
Calvary Lutheran Church is a congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), located at 39th Street & Chicago Avenue in south Minneapolis, at the crossroads of four neighborhoods: Central, Powderhorn, Bryant and Bancroft.(Directions to church)
We are known as:
- A smaller, more intimate Christian community with a strong commitment to living out God’s grace in our neighborhood.
- A diverse, open and hospitable group from young to old, who welcome visitors, whether life-long Christians or those newly seeking a spiritual home.
- A worshipping community with rich, lively, and historic liturgy that includes strong singing, eclectic music, quality preaching, and prayers for those both near and far.
- A place of beauty, gathering in a sanctuary with majestic pipe organ and stained glass windows, a newly remodeled space with flexible seating and ritual centers crafted to befit a worshipping community of the 21st century.
- A community of faith that welcomes people who may have felt excluded by the church because of cultural or ethnic background, race, physical or mental abilities, socioeconomic or family status, gender, age, or sexual orientation. Read our Welcome Statement, and learn more about our core values.
Join Us on Sunday
Sunday Education (Sunday School & Adult Education)
begins at 9:00 a.m.
Sunday Worship Service
begins at 10:15 a.m. All are welcome!
What's New at Calvary
THIS SUNDAY, AUGUST 30 – SPECIAL ADULT EDUCATION HOUR AT 9:00
In order to create more opportunity for more discussion This Sunday at 9:00 we will have a special adult education hour on the subject of saying "Black Lives Matter" and not "All Lives Matter" at this point in history. Denise Konen from First Universalist Church will lead our discussion. Please join us!!
Please read these excerpts (below) from an article by Donna Brazille suggested by Denise Konen. Also, below this article are links to a couple other pieces as well as an attached word document if you have time for more reading.
The Minnesota Council of Churches is setting up a year-long series of weekly prayer vigils. Read more about these community services here.
Minnesota Landscape Arboretium
3675 Arboretum Drive, Chaska MN 55318
The charge for the retreat is $25 and includes Ruth Bachman's book Growing Through the Narrow Spots, entrance to the Arboretum, and coffee break treats. Lunch--bring your own or eat in the cafeteria. We will have scholarships available and will carpool.
Please visit Ruth’s website for a one page overview of Ruth's work and mission.
Check out the Landscape Arboretum at http://www.arboretum.umn.edu/
Register by calling the church office of completing the form in Sunday’s bulletin. The form is available here.
The Calvary Emergency Food Shelf is available for area residents each Saturday from 9:00 - noon. There are eligibility requirements. Click on the "Food Shelf" link in the "Outreach" tab above, or call the church office at 612-827-2504 for more information.