Welcome to Calvary!
Calvary Lutheran Church is a congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), located at 39th Street & Chicago Avenue in south Minneapolis, at the crossroads of four neighborhoods: Central, Powderhorn, Bryant and Bancroft.(Directions to church)
We are known as:
- A smaller, more intimate Christian community with a strong commitment to living out God’s grace in our neighborhood.
- A diverse, open and hospitable group from young to old, who welcome visitors, whether life-long Christians or those newly seeking a spiritual home.
- A worshipping community with rich, lively, and historic liturgy that includes strong singing, eclectic music, quality preaching, and prayers for those both near and far.
- A place of beauty, gathering in a sanctuary with majestic pipe organ and stained glass windows, a newly remodeled space with flexible seating and ritual centers crafted to befit a worshipping community of the 21st century.
- A community of faith that welcomes people who may have felt excluded by the church because of cultural or ethnic background, race, physical or mental abilities, socioeconomic or family status, gender, age, or sexual orientation. Read our Welcome Statement, and learn more about our core values.
Join Us on Sunday
Sunday Education (Sunday School & Adult Education)
begins at 9:00 a.m.
(Sunday after Labor Day through Sunday before Memorial Day Weekend)
Sunday Worship Service
begins at 10:15 a.m. All are welcome!
What's New at Calvary
The Calvary Race & Equity Committee invites you to join us this summer in reading The Watsons Go to Birmingham.
You may choose to attend the book club either:
Sundays 9-10am, June 26, July 10, July 17 in the Narthex or
Thursdays 6:30-8pm, June 30, July 7, July 14 in the Lounge
Preview from the book jacket: Enter the hilarious world of ten-year-old Kenny and his family, the "Weird Watsons" of Flint, Michigan. There’s Momma, Dad, little sister Joetta, and brother Byron, who’s thirteen and an “official juvenile delinquent.” When Momma and Dad decide it’s time for a visit to Grandma, the Watsons set out on a trip like no other. They’re heading south to Birmingham, Alabama, toward one of the darkest moments in America’s history.
Sign up on the Narthex bookshelf. Books are available for $8 each.
"The Watsons Go to Birmingham" Movie Night
Bring a blanket or sleeping bag and come see the film version on Saturday, July 23 at 6:30pm. Popcorn and drinks will be provided!
The Calvary Emergency Food Shelf is available for area residents each Saturday from 9:00 - noon. There are eligibility requirements. Click on the "Food Shelf" link in the "Outreach" tab above, or call the church office at 612-827-2504 for more information.