Welcome to Calvary!
Calvary Lutheran Church is a congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), located at 39th Street & Chicago Avenue in south Minneapolis, at the crossroads of four neighborhoods: Central, Powderhorn, Bryant and Bancroft.(Directions to church)
We are known as:
- A smaller, more intimate Christian community with a strong commitment to living out God’s grace in our neighborhood.
- A diverse, open and hospitable group from young to old, who welcome visitors, whether life-long Christians or those newly seeking a spiritual home.
- A worshipping community with rich, lively, and historic liturgy that includes strong singing, eclectic music, quality preaching, and prayers for those both near and far.
- A place of beauty, gathering in a sanctuary with majestic pipe organ and stained glass windows, a newly remodeled space with flexible seating and ritual centers crafted to befit a worshipping community of the 21st century.
- A community of faith that welcomes people who may have felt excluded by the church because of cultural or ethnic background, race, physical or mental abilities, socioeconomic or family status, gender, age, or sexual orientation. Read our Welcome Statement, and learn more about our core values.
Join Us on Sunday
Sunday Education (Sunday School & Adult Education)
begins at 9:00 a.m.
Sunday Worship Service
begins at 10:15 a.m. All are welcome!
What's New at Calvary
Mark your calendars now for the great guitar concert on Sunday, May 3.
Plans are underway for the 2015 South Minneapolis Day Camp, scheduled for June 22-26. Preliminary information about registration is available online at:
Check it out!
The Calvary Emergency Food Shelf is available for area residents each Saturday from 9:00 - noon. There are eligibility requirements. Click on the "Food Shelf" link in the "Outreach" tab above, or call the church office at 612-827-2504 for more information.