Welcome to Calvary!
Calvary Lutheran Church is a congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), located at 39th Street & Chicago Avenue in south Minneapolis, at the crossroads of four neighborhoods: Central, Powderhorn, Bryant and Bancroft.(Directions to church)
We are known as:
- A smaller, more intimate Christian community with a strong commitment to living out God’s grace in our neighborhood.
- A diverse, open and hospitable group from young to old, who welcome visitors, whether life-long Christians or those newly seeking a spiritual home.
- A worshipping community with rich, lively, and historic liturgy that includes strong singing, eclectic music, quality preaching, and prayers for those both near and far.
- A place of beauty, gathering in a sanctuary with majestic pipe organ and stained glass windows, a newly remodeled space with flexible seating and ritual centers crafted to befit a worshipping community of the 21st century.
- A community of faith that welcomes people who may have felt excluded by the church because of cultural or ethnic background, race, physical or mental abilities, socioeconomic or family status, gender, age, or sexual orientation. Read our Welcome Statement, and learn more about our core values.
Join Us on Sunday
Sunday Education (Sunday School & Adult Education)
begins at 9:00 a.m.
Sunday Worship Service
begins at 10:15 a.m. All are welcome!
What's New at Calvary
Sunday School has been cancelled for Sunday, February 14.
Each Wednesday during lent, a soup supper will be served starting at 5:30 and Prayer Around the Cross worship at 6:30 p.m.
We invite you to join us at Calvary during the season of Lent!
The dates for Lenten Soup suppers and coordinating committee for each Wednesday this year are:
Wednesday, February 17: Worship & Spiritual Care
Wednesday, February 24: MICAH Teams
Wednesday, March 2: Social Justice & Race Equity Committee
Wednesday, March 9: Property
Wednesday, March 16: Mission Support & Education
The Book Discussion Group has been reading "The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness" by Michelle Alexander.
The wrap-up session will be Sunday, February 14, during Adult Education, 9:00-10:00 a.m. On February 14, join David Starks, Aimee Boone, and others in conversation around the topic of policing, criminal justice, and new initiatives. We encourage people to come with their thoughts and questions as we complete the book. This is Sunday offers a great opportunity to continue to learn and look at next steps as individuals, as a congregation, and as a state.
All are welcome!
Sunday, February 21, 4:30-6:30 pm
An Opportunity to learn about membership and community at Calvary
The Calvary Emergency Food Shelf is available for area residents each Saturday from 9:00 - noon. There are eligibility requirements. Click on the "Food Shelf" link in the "Outreach" tab above, or call the church office at 612-827-2504 for more information.