Welcome to Calvary!
Calvary Lutheran Church is a congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), located at 39th Street & Chicago Avenue in south Minneapolis, at the crossroads of four neighborhoods: Central, Powderhorn, Bryant and Bancroft.(Directions to church)
We are known as:
- A smaller, more intimate Christian community with a strong commitment to living out God’s grace in our neighborhood.
- A diverse, open and hospitable group from young to old, who welcome visitors, whether life-long Christians or those newly seeking a spiritual home.
- A worshipping community with rich, lively, and historic liturgy that includes strong singing, eclectic music, quality preaching, and prayers for those both near and far.
- A place of beauty, gathering in a sanctuary with majestic pipe organ and stained glass windows, a newly remodeled space with flexible seating and ritual centers crafted to befit a worshipping community of the 21st century.
- A community of faith that welcomes people who may have felt excluded by the church because of cultural or ethnic background, race, physical or mental abilities, socioeconomic or family status, gender, age, or sexual orientation. Read our Welcome Statement, and learn more about our core values.
Join Us on Sunday
Sunday Education (Sunday School & Adult Education)
begins at 9:00 a.m.
Sunday Worship Service
begins at 10:15 a.m. All are welcome!
What's New at Calvary
This year the children and youth at Calvary will invite us to focus on the journey to Christmas as we move through the Advent season. The pageant will take place during worship on Sunday, December 14th. Rehearsals take place during the Education Hour.
Saint Nicholas Festival & Children’s Pageant Celebration
Sunday, December 14 Following worship
Join the festivities at Calvary after the Children’s Pageant on Sunday, December 14.
There will be a light lunch followed by
* Lefse rolling
* Krumkake making
* Cookie frosting
* Christmas card decorating
* Rice Krispy wreath creating
* And more!
Children and Adults of all ages are invited to participate. There is a suggested donation of $5/person or $20/family to assist in covering the cost of lunch and supplies.