Welcome to Calvary!
Calvary Lutheran Church is a congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), located at 39th Street & Chicago Avenue in south Minneapolis, at the crossroads of four neighborhoods: Central, Powderhorn, Bryant and Bancroft.(Directions to church)
We are known as:
- A smaller, more intimate Christian community with a strong commitment to living out God’s grace in our neighborhood.
- A diverse, open and hospitable group from young to old, who welcome visitors, whether life-long Christians or those newly seeking a spiritual home.
- A worshipping community with rich, lively, and historic liturgy that includes strong singing, eclectic music, quality preaching, and prayers for those both near and far.
- A place of beauty, gathering in a sanctuary with majestic pipe organ and stained glass windows, a newly remodeled space with flexible seating and ritual centers crafted to befit a worshipping community of the 21st century.
- A community of faith that welcomes people who may have felt excluded by the church because of cultural or ethnic background, race, physical or mental abilities, socioeconomic or family status, gender, age, or sexual orientation. Read our Welcome Statement, and learn more about our core values.
Join Us on Sunday
Sunday Education (Sunday School & Adult Education)
begins at 9:00 a.m.
Sunday Worship Service
begins at 10:15 a.m. All are welcome!
What's New at Calvary
Sunday, March 28 - 9:45 a.m. - Palm Sunday Procession
Sunday, March 28 - 10:15 a.m. - Palm Sunday Worship
Thurdsday, April 2 - 7:00 p.m. - Maundy Thursday Worship
Friday, April 3 - 12:00 noon - Good Friday Neighborhood Procession
Friday, April 3 - 7:00 p.m. - Good Friday Worship
Sunday, April 5 - 10:00 a.m. - Easter Egg Hunt for children in the Courtyard
Sunday, April 5 - 10:15 a.m. - Easter Worship
On Good Friday several area congregations (including Calvary Lutheran Church, Messiah Lutheran Church, the Norwegian Lutheran Memorial Church, Our Saviour’s Lutheran Church, and St. Paul’s/San Pablo Lutheran Church) will process through the streets of Minneapolis in recognition of Jesus’ journey to the cross and our call to live out Jesus’ ministry and witness in our neighborhood and city.
The procession begins in the foyer of the Center for Changing Lives (home to Messiah Lutheran Church) at 2400 Park Avenue S, Minneapolis, at 12:00 pm. Together we will process through the Phillips Neighborhood sharing in scripture, simple chants, and prayer. The procession concludes at Our Saviour’s Lutheran Church at approximately 1 pm.
The procession offers one way to walk in solidarity with one another and honor the way of the cross.
For more information or questions please contact: email@example.com or OSLC office: 612-871-2967