Welcome to Calvary!
Calvary Lutheran Church is a congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), located at 39th Street & Chicago Avenue in south Minneapolis, at the crossroads of four neighborhoods: Central, Powderhorn, Bryant and Bancroft.(Directions to church)
We are known as:
- A smaller, more intimate Christian community with a strong commitment to living out God’s grace in our neighborhood.
- A diverse, open and hospitable group from young to old, who welcome visitors, whether life-long Christians or those newly seeking a spiritual home.
- A worshipping community with rich, lively, and historic liturgy that includes strong singing, eclectic music, quality preaching, and prayers for those both near and far.
- A place of beauty, gathering in a sanctuary with majestic pipe organ and stained glass windows, a newly remodeled space with flexible seating and ritual centers crafted to befit a worshipping community of the 21st century.
- A community of faith that welcomes people who may have felt excluded by the church because of cultural or ethnic background, race, physical or mental abilities, socioeconomic or family status, gender, age, or sexual orientation. Read our Welcome Statement, and learn more about our core values.
Join Us on Sunday
Sunday Education (Sunday School & Adult Education)
begins at 9:00 a.m.
(Sunday after Labor Day through Sunday before Memorial Day Weekend)
Sunday Worship Service
begins at 10:15 a.m. All are welcome!
What's New at Calvary
June 4th 7:00 – 10:30 in theFellowship Hall
Come join in a free screening of How Love Won - The Fight for Marriage Equality in Minnesota which will be followed by a DANCE PARTY. We will be accepting freewill donations for George Robson and his family. George is a beloved Calvary member who very unexpectedly suffered a stroke. Suggested donation amount is $5 - $50, but please don't let lack of money keep you away from this fabulous event. Bring your tissues and your dancing shoes! The entrances for this event will be the door off of the parking lot on the east side of the building (Elliot Avenue and 39th Street) and the accessible entrance is on 39th Street. You do not need a ticket to attend this event.
Calvary Lutheran Church seeks a person to serve as part-time (.3 FTE) music director/choir director/accompanist, who is passionate about leading music in a musically gifted community with a strong commitment to an eclectic blend of classical, gospel, global, Taizé/Iona, traditional, and recently composed music.
Calvary is hiring for the ½ time (20 hour a week) position of Minister of Children’s & Youth Programs.
This is a new position is to develop and facilitate relationships, programs, activities, and learning opportunities to support, and strengthen children, youth, and their families in faith development. Simultaneously, equip volunteers in work as teachers, mentors, and coordinators. Through this work, in conjunction with congregational volunteers, children and youth will grow in relationships with God and one another; share stories of faith; live out love, justice, and peace (allowing for wonderings, doubt, and exploration).
June 27 - July 1 at Bethel Lutheran Church, 4120 17th Ave. S.
A progressive ecumenical summer day camp experience in South Minneapolis offering faith formation in a fun, safe, Christ-centered, and relational setting.
All 4-year olds through 8th graders are welcome! Register online at
The Calvary Emergency Food Shelf is available for area residents each Saturday from 9:00 - noon. There are eligibility requirements. Click on the "Food Shelf" link in the "Outreach" tab above, or call the church office at 612-827-2504 for more information.