Welcome to Calvary!
Calvary Lutheran Church is a congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), located at 39th Street & Chicago Avenue in south Minneapolis, at the crossroads of four neighborhoods: Central, Powderhorn, Bryant and Bancroft.(Directions to church)
We are known as:
- A smaller, more intimate Christian community with a strong commitment to living out God’s grace in our neighborhood.
- A diverse, open and hospitable group from young to old, who welcome visitors, whether life-long Christians or those newly seeking a spiritual home.
- A worshipping community with rich, lively, and historic liturgy that includes strong singing, eclectic music, quality preaching, and prayers for those both near and far.
- A place of beauty, gathering in a sanctuary with majestic pipe organ and stained glass windows, a newly remodeled space with flexible seating and ritual centers crafted to befit a worshipping community of the 21st century.
- A community of faith that welcomes people who may have felt excluded by the church because of cultural or ethnic background, race, physical or mental abilities, socioeconomic or family status, gender, age, or sexual orientation. Read our Welcome Statement, and learn more about our core values.
Join Us on Sunday
Choir/Music rehearsal at 9:15 a.m.
Worship at 10:00
Sunday School at 11:00
Adult Education at 11:15
What's New at Calvary
Members of the congregation are planning for Trunk-or-Treat on Saturday, October 29. We will have one half of the parking lot blocked off for cars to hand out candy from their trunks/tail gates/hatches to children and youth from Calvary, Urban Arts, and the neighborhood. People are invited to decorate their cars in fall/Halloween fashion! Also, each car is invited to bring 50-75 goodies to share with the kids. Due to allergies we ask for not peanut or nut products…and “healthier options” such as Goldfish, Teddy Grahams, fruit snacks are welcome.
Children and youth are invited to come in their Halloween costumes and enjoy the festivities. Handing out of candy and goodies will go from 4:30 pm until about 5:15; we will then have hot dogs, chips, and lemonade. From 5:30-7:30 we will have board games and activities for kids and families. Mark your calendar now for a fun evening!
The Calvary Emergency Food Shelf is available for area residents each Saturday from 9:00 - noon. There are eligibility requirements. Click on the "Food Shelf" link in the "Outreach" tab above, or call the church office at 612-827-2504 for more information.